Blue Ridge Hospice Annual Bereavement Conference 2013
The Blue Ridge Hospice Annual Bereavement Conference will be held on Friday, April 12, 2013 at the George Washington Hotel, in beautiful downtown Winchester, VA. Our speaker will be Frank Ostaseski, founder of the Metta Institute which provides innovative educational programs and professional trainings that foster mindful and compassionate end-of-life care.
You will not want to miss this informative and rejuvenating conference. Social Workers can earn up to 6 CEU through NASW. To register, complete and return this form: REGISTRATION FORM 2013 CONFERENCE
About Frank Ostaseski
In 1987 Frank co-founded the Zen Hospice Project, the first Buddhist hospice in America. In 2004, he created the Metta Institute to provide broad based education on mindful and compassionate end of life care. His groundbreaking work has been widely featured in the media, including the Bill Moyers television series On Our Own Terms, The Oprah Winfrey Show, and in numerous print publications. In 2001, he was honored by H.H. Dalai Lama for his years of compassionate service to the dying and their families.
Frank is a dynamic and visionary Buddhist teacher and international lecturer. He is a frequent keynote speaker for many healthcare organizations such as Harvard Medical School, the Mayo Clinic, the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization and others. His public programs, writings and recordings have introduced thousands to the practices of contemplative care.
In addition to the wide variety of age and loss-specific grief support groups Blue Ridge Hospice offers, our experienced grief counselors are available for phone consultations and referrals, can suggest articles and other literature, videos and tapes from the Blue Ridge Hospice lending library pertinent to your circumstances, and provide onsite support in traumatic situations. Families whose loved one received Blue Ridge Hospice services have the additional benefit of 13-months of one-on-one or family grief counseling.
About the Blue Ridge Hospice Annual Bereavement Conference
For 10 years Blue Ridge Hospice has been hosting its Annual Bereavement Conference for social workers, nurses, doctors, chaplains, caregivers and other professionals interested in developing skills in the areas of bereavement and end-of-life-care. Blue Ridge Hospice is the only organization in the Shenandoah area that provides these unique conferences offering participants valuable opportunities to learn from well-known professionals in their respective fields.
Past speakers include:
• Dr. Kenneth J. Doka: professor of Gerontology at the Graduate School of The College of New Rochelle and Senior Consultant to the Hospice Foundation of America. In addition to writing numerous books on the subjects of death, dying and grief, he has published over 100 articles and book chapters.
• Dr. Alan Wolfelt: author, educator, and grief counselor and Founder and Director of the Center for Loss and Life Transition in Colorado.
• Robert A. Neimeyer, Ph.D: professor in the Psychotherapy Research Area of the Department of Psychology, University of Memphis. He has conducted extensive research on the topics of death, grief, loss, and suicide intervention.
• Therese A. Rando, Ph.D., BCETS, BCBT: clinical psychologist in Warwick, Rhode Island and internationally known clinician, researcher and author in areas related to loss, grief, illness, dying, and trauma.
• Dr. Harold Ivan Smith: graduate of The Mid-America College of Funeral Service, Scarritt College (M.A.), George Peabody College of Vanderbilt University (Ed.S.). Holds a doctorate from Asbury Theological Seminary. Harold Ivan is a Fellow in Thanatology recognized by the Association for Death Education and Counseling.
• Tom Golden, LCSW: dynamic speaker, author of Swallowed by a Snake, and psychotherapist in private practice in Washington DC.
• Dale G. Larson, Ph.D.: Professor of Counseling Psychology at Santa Clara University. A researcher, licensed clinical psychologist, and marriage and family therapist.
• Doug Smith M.A., M.S., M.Div: professional speaker, trainer, and consultant with more than 25 years of experience as a counselor, therapist, patient-care advocate, and health care administrator.
• Russell E. Hilliard, PhD, LCSW, LCAT, MT-BC: National Director of Supportive Care at Seasons Hospice and Palliative Care and Founder of the National Center for Music Therapy in End-of-Life Care.
• Joyce Simard MSW: Employed in the long-term care industry for over 35 years, Joyce has developed unique programs for people with mild, moderate, and advanced dementia.
• Dr. Jack LoCicero: nationally known, certified grief therapist and death educator.
Here is what attendees have to say about our conferences:
“Excellent presentation! I learned and enjoyed the day so much!”
“As always, Blue Ridge Hospice brings us exceptional learning opportunities with tremendously talented teachers, speakers, and individuals who are traveling life’s road with us! Fabulous!”
“Thank you for this WONDERFUL conference. Both presenters were incredibly knowledgeable, dynamic and comforting (REALLY!) Thank you!”
“I really enjoyed this…the focus was very practical. Thanks again for organizing this. I look forward to it year after year.”
“Excellent program with great balance of information and humor!”
For more information, or to be added to our mailing list call 540-536-5210.